Chintels: District administrator takes steps to vacate Tower H immediately | spcilvly

The district administration on Monday said it had invoked the Disaster Management Act, 2005 to vacate tower H of the Chintels Paradiso condominium complex in Sector 109 in the next 15 days.

The Chintels Paradiso condominium has nine residential towers and the state government had ordered a structural audit of the condominium after six floors of Tower D partially collapsed on February 10 last year, killing two female residents.  (Parveen Kumar/HT Photo)
The Chintels Paradiso condominium has nine residential towers and the state government had ordered a structural audit of the condominium after six floors of Tower D partially collapsed on February 10 last year, killing two female residents. (Parveen Kumar/HT Photo)

Gurugram Deputy Commissioner Nishant Yadav said IIT-Delhi experts deemed Tower H unsafe for habitation in June this year and the occupants were asked to vacate their apartments. The deputy commissioner said they have now issued directions under the DMA to around 16 families residing in the tower.

The Chintels Paradiso condominium has nine residential towers and the state government had ordered a structural audit of the condominium after six floors of Tower D partially collapsed on February 10 last year, killing two female residents.

To date, the district administration has declared towers D, E, F, G and H unsafe on the recommendation of technical experts from IIT-Delhi. The structural audit report of Tower H reached the district administration in June this year and found the tower unsafe for habitation.

“We have invoked the Disaster Management Act to ensure that families still occupying the flats vacate their residences as soon as possible. The district administration is also working to ensure that the builder pays compensation or refund to the 288 affected buyers in the five towers at the earliest,” Yadav said.

The deputy commissioner said that to date around 100 homeowners have received the refund while efforts are being made to ensure that by the end of the month, at least half of the affected homeowners receive the refund.

According to the structural audit report submitted to the district administration, “there is rapid and widespread corrosion of reinforcement throughout the structure.”

Given the high chloride content in the concrete in almost the entire structure, a repair was neither technically nor economically viable. Under current conditions, due to rapid corrosion of the reinforcement due to the presence of chlorides, the structure is not safe for habitation.”

The Chintels Paradiso Residents Welfare Association (RWA) said the administration should expedite the payment of the refund and also ensure that those owners who want to rebuild their homes are provided with an apartment in place of the damaged property. “Owners will receive a refund, but management should also ensure that those living in the other four towers do not suffer from a shortage of services and amenities,” he said.

“We have already extended a settlement offer to all residents of Phase 1 of Chintels Paradiso. We welcome the administration’s decision to vacate the towers. This is for your own safety and our priority has always been the safety of residents. The refund to 118 residents is in various stages: 56 have received full refund, 43 have received 10% of the amount and another 19 have signed consent forms,” said JN Yadav, vice president, Chintels India.

“Exciting news! Hindustan Times is now on WhatsApp channels Subscribe today by clicking the link and stay up to date with the latest news!” Click here!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *